Beet, Pumpkin, and Carrot Soup + Weekend Recap #5
Hi, friends! How are you? I’m currently somewhere between Colorado and California, flying back to my home state. I’m headed to the Bay Area this week to a) celebrate my mom’s birthday and b) to work. For those of you who are new around here, I wear a few hats. In addition to freelance writing / photography, studying, and partnering with brands to create content, I also support my family’s Bay Area-based business. I help manage our social media accounts, copyedit newsletters, and handle customer service inquiries. So, I’m back in California this week to knock off a few to-dos.
But, back to the weekend. It was a welcomed balance of work and play—and, for once, it felt slow. Until mid-morning on Saturday, my family was in town. They flew in last Tuesday to celebrate Thanksgiving with us! It was wonderful. So wonderful. With traveling out of the picture, relaxation was at the forefront. We cooked, hung out, shopped, and exercised. The weather was phenomenal and the Airbnb my family stayed in was rad. There was plenty of gratitude and self-care to go around.
Once they left, I worked on my nutrition classes, cleaned the apartment, spent time in the kitchen, and edited a freelance article. Come Sunday, I studied for a while, then went on a long walk and listened to a podcast. I also polished off a few more pieces of pumpkin pie. Weekend, complete.
Last but not least, I want to leave you with a simple, nutrient-dense recipe. I made some soup on Sunday evening, thanks to random veggies in our fridge. I combined leftover pumpkin purée with a handful of beets and carrots, and et voilà, I made a curried ginger and beetroot soup. It's creamy, earthy, and chock-full of vitamins and minerals. And, it’s a delicious way to give your immune system a boost. Unintentionally, it's vegan, gluten-free, and paleo. Enjoy :)
- 6 medium carrots, washed
- 4 small beets, washed
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 large white onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1-inch nub of fresh ginger, washed + peeled
- Sea salt to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil (6 cups).
2. Wash + chop your carrots, beets, and white onion. Drop your veggies and ginger into the pot of water and simmer until the veggies are tender (15-20 minutes).
3. Strain the veggies and ginger in a colander, then add them to a blender with your veggie broth, coconut milk, pumpkin purée, and curry powder. Blend.
4. Taste test. Add salt in increments.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls. Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to one week (it also freezes wonderfully).
If you make any of my recipes, please tag me (@wellnesswithedie) or use #wellnesswithedie on Instagram! That way, I can easily see your creations :)